There are many varieties of cucumbers: flat, ridged, green or yellow. When you buy cucumbers, remember that they can’t stand the cold and if you buy them out of season they are often imported and treated with wax.
- Therefore, it is important to peel them well.
- Look for cucumbers that are firm and without spots.
- Do not to select those that are too ripe because they tend to have a bitter taste and large seeds.
- Fresh, Italian cucumbers can be eaten with the skin on. If you want to peel them, first wash and dry the cucumber, then cut off the ends with a sharp knife.
- To eliminate the bitter taste, repeatedly rubbed the tip of the cucumber with the tip you cut off, making a light foam.
- Peel the cucumber with a potato peeler and then slice it.
- If you want, remove the seeds. If you want to serve it raw with a dip, cut the cucumber lengthwise.
- If, instead, you want to add to a salad, cut it into cubes or round slices.