Artichokes can be used in different ways: they can be cooked in a pan or in the oven, or even eaten raw or pickled. When buying artichokes, select those that are green and compact. The tips should be well-closed and the stem hard and brightly colored.
If you want to prepare them in the oven:
- cut the stem with a sharp knife, remove the hard outer leaves and remove the tips of the leaves.
- Rub the cut ends of the artichoke with lemon so that they do not turn black, then place the artichoke in a bowl full of water with lemon, quartered.
If you want to cook the artichoke in a pan:
- begin by removing the outer leaves and use a knife to cut off the tough, outer part of the stem.
- Remove the tips of the leaves and cut the artichoke in half.
- Remove the thorns and the beard and cut each half into thin slices.
- Place the sliced artichokes in a bowl of water and lemon juice to prevent them discoloring.
To prepare the artichokes to be marinated or to be served raw in a salad, you should only use the most tender inner leaves and heart of the stalk cut into thin slices.