To clean the mussels
- Eliminate the beard, by pulling on it using small, precise movements.
- Rinse the mussels under running water while scraping the shell with a knife.
- To remove any remaining impurities, soak the mussels in a bowl with a little water and covered with coarse salt.
- Turn and stir the mussels in the salt while rubbing them together.
- Drain the mussels thoroughly and then use them in your recipe or you can store them for up to 2 days in the refrigerator wrapped in netting.
To clean the clams
- In a bowl, prepare a solution of warm water and salt, using 2 tbsp. of coarse salt for every quart of water. - Place the clams in a plastic container and shake 3 or 4 times to draw out any remaining sand. If you find a clam that has released sand, toss it out.
- Rinse the clams, then place them in a large container, so they do not overlap one another.
- Cover completely with the previously prepared salt water solution.
- Soak the clams for about 40 minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly.
- The clams are now ready to be used or can be stored up to 2 days in the refrigerator wrapped in netting.