Depending on what you are cooking, you can use garlic in different ways.
- To flavor olive oil, you can use the garlic without peeling it and by simply cutting it in half.
- To make a soffritto (the base of many Italian recipes), crush the garlic cloves with your hands, then peel them using a knife.
- Cut them in half by making a vertical slice and remove the center because it is difficult to digest.
- While cooking the soffritto, be sure not to brown the garlic.
- To flavor sauces, dice peeled garlic cloves and add it to the sauce.
- For roast meats or potatoes, use garlic that has been crushed but not peeled, so that it can withstand high temperatures.