To check if an egg is fresh, simply place it in a glass of water. If it floats, it means it is old, if it lies on the bottom, it is fresh. With time, eggs tend to loose water, which is replaced with air, causing them to float. You can also check the egg carton for the date it was laid and when it was packaged. We suggest using eggs within three weeks from when they were packaged.
How to separate the yolk from the white
- Hold the egg lengthwise and tap it against the edge of the bowl, cracking it with your thumbs.
- Drop the egg white into the bowl, and slide the egg yolk from one half of the shell to the other.
- Remove any traces of the egg yolk from the bowl of whites.
How to make a hard-boiled egg
- Fill a saucepan with water.
- Add a drop of vinegar to prevent the shell from forming holes, allowing egg white to escape during cooking. - Remove the egg from the fridge a couple minutes before cooking, then place it in the saucepan of cold water. - Bring to a boil over low heat and cook for about 7 minutes from when the water begins to boil.
- When done cooking, transfer the egg to a bowl with cold water.
- Gently tap the egg against a hard surface to crack the shell.
- Hold the egg under cold running water for easy cleaning.
- A hard-boiled egg can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to make a soft-boiled egg
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over low heat.
- Once the water is simmering, add a drop of vinegar and gently slide an egg into the water.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then remove it, dry it and tap it lightly with a spoon, removing the broken shell.
- If you like your yolks runny and your whites cooked, cook the egg for 6 minutes rather than 3.
How to make a poached egg
- Crack open an egg and transfer it into a pot of boiling water with a drop of vinegar to speed up the coagulation of egg white.
- To prevent the egg from settling on the bottom of the pot, hold it in the water with a slotted spoon.
- After about 4 minutes of cooking, the egg should be ready. The egg white should be soft and the yolk solid.