As with the larger version Penne, Mezze Penne resembles an old-style quill pen. This shape is enjoyed throughout Northern Italy and in Campania where it is prized for its wonderful versatility and its ability to absorb and retain sauce on its surfaces, inside and out.
Barilla’s Mezze Penne is very slender and slightly shorter than Penne; yet maintains the ridges that help to hold the sauce, resulting in a tantalizing taste experience. Whether bathed in a rich tomato sauce, or paired with a traditional spicy arrabbiata, Barilla Mezze Penne is the perfect pasta.
Try Mezze Penne with chunkier meat or vegetable-based sauces, refined dairy-based sauces, like a mushroom cream sauce, tomato sauces, or spicy sauces. Mezze Penne is also delicious in baked casserole dishes, known as "pasta al forno".
01. Bring 4 - 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste.
02. Add contents of package to boiling water. Stir gently.
03. Return to a boil. For authentic "al dente" pasta, boil uncovered, stirring occasionally for 9 minutes. For more tender pasta, boil an additional 1 minute.
04. Remove from heat. Drain well.
05. Serve immediately with your favorite Barilla sauce.