Penne is one of the most famous Italian pasta shapes and are loved across Italy. Penne, which means "pen" in Italian, gets its name from its shape. Their tube-shape with angled ends was inspired by the quill of an old style ink pen.
Ridged penne are designed for meat, vegetable, cheese and oil or butter-based sauces. They are also perfect for baked dishes made with sauce and cheese. Penne all'Arrabbiata, penne with a spicy tomato sauce, is a favorite Italian dish.
Try Penne with chunkier meat or vegetable-based sauces, refined dairy-based sauces, like a mushroom cream sauce, tomato sauces, or spicy sauces. Penne is also delicious in baked casserole dishes, known as "pasta al forno".
01. Bring 4 - 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste.
02. Add contents of package to boiling water. Stir gently.
03. Return to a boil. For authentic "al dente" pasta, boil uncovered, stirring occasionally for 11 minutes. For more tender pasta, boil an additional 1 minute.
04. Remove from heat. Drain well.
05. Serve immediately with your favorite Barilla sauce.
Gemelli with Walnut Sauce creata daAcademia Barilla