Sicilian Cannolidi Academia Barilla
Didn't you find all the ingredients? Would you like to experiment with variations?
Look at the table and replace the original ingredient with the alternative one. Pay attention to the quantities which could be different.
|ORIGINAL INGREDIENT||ALTERNATIVE INGREDIENT||QUANTITY|
|Chopped Confectioners Sugar||Powdered Confectioners sugar||-|
2. Add Marsala, or rum if you prefer
3. Knead until the dough is smooth, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand for half an hour
4. Roll out the cannoli dough and cut into squares, about 4 x 4 inches
5. Wrap each square around cannoli metal tubes, overlapping ends
6. Fry the dough on tubes, in a large pot of hot lard or olive oil
7. Cool on paper towels, then carefully remove the metal tubes
8. For the ricotta filling, with a fork beat ricotta with sugar
9. Add a bit of milk and a dash of vanilla extract and cinnamon
10. Strain through a sieve and blend in diced candied fruit and bits of dark chocolate
11. With a pastry bag, pipe the ricotta filling into the crispy shells and sprinkle both ends with crushed pistachio nuts
12. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar