Barilla® Ditali Soup with Chicken & Spinach in a Slow Cooker
Ditali is the perfect soup pasta. Try this hearty and healthy warm-up for chilly seasons. Chicken and vegetables with Italian herbs and cheese give it a savory twist.
Ingredients for 6 people
- ¼ Box Barilla® Ditali
- 2 Quarts (2 L), water
- 2 Celery stalks, diced
- 1 Large carrots, diced
- 1 Large, onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Lb. (454 g) Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Lb (454 g) Baby spinach
- 2 Pints cherry tomatoes
- ½ Cup (170 g) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- COMBINE in a 4-6 quart slow cooker, the water, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaf, chicken and water.
- COOK on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is tender and falling apart.
- REMOVE the chicken from the soup and let it cool down. When the chicken is cool, shred into bite size pieces then add it back to the soup.
- REMOVE the bay leaf and add the spinach, cherry tomatoes and pasta then stir well.
- SEASON with salt and pepper and cover, then cook the pasta for approximately another 35-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- TO SERVE ladle the soup into bowls, top with some grated cheese and a drizzle of fresh olive oil.