Fettuccine Pasta Alle Vongole
Recipe credit: Christopher Rivest
- Sea Food
Inspired by: The American
Abruzzo – located in the heart of Italy – has sprawling landscapes of the Apennine Mountains to the Adriatic Sea. It’s also where “The American” featuring heartthrob George Clooney was filmed and what inspired this Barilla fettuccine Alle Vongole – but there’s nothing American about this dish. Authentically Italian and with origins in coastal towns, this classic recipe uses fresh clams as the hero ingredient. This dish uses thicker fettuccine instead of its normal Spaghetti counterpart to lap up the decadent white wine sauce it’s served in. Buon appetito!
Best served with Ruffino Prosecco
Taste profile: Crisp, clean, and delicate with fine bubbles on the palate. Intense flavours of apples and peaches lead to a pleasant finish with lingering fruit and floral notes.
Ingredients 4 Number of Servings
320g box Barilla Fettuccine classic or Gluten free pasta
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ white onion, diced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp lemon zest
¾ cup white wine
1 kg of fresh clams
⅓ cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the Barilla Fettuccine pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until just golden.
- Add red pepper flakes and lemon zest, continue cooking 30 more seconds. Add white wine, then clams; increase heat to high. Cover and cook until clams open and release their juices, about 6 minutes (depending on size of clams).
- Add the cooked pasta back into the large pot and toss to get all the flavours combined.
- Remove from heat and if time allows, allow the mixture to sit for 3-5 minutes. This will allow the pasta to absorb more of the beautiful flavours.
- Toss with fresh parmesan cheese and serve!