- Non Vegetarian
Orzo is the perfect soup pasta. Try this hearty and healthy warm-up for chilly seasons. This isn't your usual chicken noodle soup recipe. This is chicken orzo soup, and it takes this classic dish to new, exciting places. Al dente orzo swims in a flavourful Italian soup broth with diced celery, halved tomatoes, fresh spinach, garlic, and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. For additional chicken soup recipe adventures, try any of our other soup pasta shapes like ditalini and pastina.
Ingredients 4 Number of Servings
- 1/2 box Barilla® Orzo
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Combine in a 4-6 quart slow cooker, the water, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaf, chicken and water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is tender and falling apart.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and let it cool down. When the chicken is cool, shred into bite size pieces then add it back to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the spinach, cherry tomatoes and pasta then stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover, then cook the pasta for approximately another 35-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- To serve ladle the soup into bowls, top with some grated cheese and a drizzle of fresh olive oil.