Ingredients 4 Number of Servings
1 box Barilla Orzo
64 fl. ounces chicken broth
1 fresh lemon
6 artichokes (may substitute 2 9-ounce packages artichoke quarters, thawed and drained)
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed, divided
1 cup pancetta (may substitute bacon), diced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
Heat chicken broth in a medium sized pot over low heat until hot.
- Leave on stove top on lowest heat until needed.
Clean artichokes by slicing ¼-inch off the top and bottom. Remove all the tough outer leaves leaving a quarter of the artichoke remaining. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise and remove choke. Cut into thin slices and soak in a bowl of water with squeezed lemon to prevent browning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
Add garlic and drained artichoke slices; sauté 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
In same skillet, add pancetta. Sauté pancetta over medium high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet.
Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add Orzo and enough hot chicken broth to cover pasta. Cook continuously, adding more broth as needed until pasta is cooked.
- Add artichokes a few minutes before the end of cooking.
- When pasta is a smooth consistency and excess broth is evaporated, stir in cheese, pancetta and butter.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve hot.