Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Penne Rigate
A classically Italian-American invention, Shrimp Fra Diavolo makes a spicy splash for any meal!
- 50 g
- 16 g
- 7 g
- 1 box Barilla Penne Rigate
- 1 Pound (454 g) Large Shrimp Peeled and Deveined
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 1 tsp.(5 mL) Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- 3 tbs. (45 mL) Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
- 28 Ounces (794 g) Diced Tomatoes Canned Reserve Liquid no salt added
- 1 Cup (250 mL) Dry White Wine
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 tsp. (3 mL) Oregano Dried
- 1/4 Cup (85 g) Fresh Italian Parsley
- 1/4 Cup (85 g) Fresh Basil Chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, heat the oil over a medium-high flame in a large, heavy skillet
Add the shrimp and sauté until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp using a slotted spoon to a large plate and set aside. Add the onion to the same skillet and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano, and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes
Meanwhile, add the Penne to the boiling salted water and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
Drain the pasta add the cooked Penne to the sauce and stir to coat. Add the shrimp and the accumulated juices to the sauce pan and stir to combine; remove the pan from the heat and toss in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt to taste
Spoon the mixture into shallow serving bowls and serve.