Bryan Voltaggio’s Pronto™ Rotini with Sausage & Broccoli Rabe
- 1 box Barilla® Pronto® Rotini
- 3 cups (750 mL) cold water
- 2 cups (680 g) broccoli rabe, cut into 2” pieces
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) green chiles, cut into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 cups (680 g) cherry heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) shallots, sliced thin
- 2 cups (680 g), fresh pork sausage
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, julienne
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup (170 g) fresh basil leaves, ripped
- ½ cup (170 g) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1In a 12 inch skillet add olive oil and heat on medium. When olive oil is shiny add sausage and increase heat to high, allow to brown for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through than add garlic and shallots, sauté lightly.
2Pour the whole box of pasta into the skillet and add 3 cups (750 mL) of cold water ensuring that the water covers the pasta.
3Turn on the burner to high and set your timer to 10 minutes (optional: add ½ teaspoon (3 mL) salt to taste). Cook on high heat for 5 minutes then add broccoli rabe; continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
4Add chili peppers, red peppers, tomatoes and butter then toss together making sure all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Serve in a large bowl family-style and top with basil and cheese.