1 box campanelle
4 quails cut in half
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, finely chopped
¾ cup dried cherries
5 cups kale, chopped
1 tablespoon young thyme with flowers, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 cup chicken stock, reduced sodium
8 thyme sprigs
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions, keep warm.
2. Season quail with salt and pepper.
3. Using a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over high heat.
4. Place quail in pan breast side down and brown for 2 minutes.Flip over and, cook 2 more minutes.
5. Remove from pan and keep warm. Continue to use pan without cleaning
6. Using same pan from the quail, place over medium high heat add shallots, cherries, kale and thyme and sauté for 5 minutes.
7. Add sugar.
8. Bring mixture to caramel color and then deglaze pan with vinegar.
9. Reduce until the liquid has evaporated and add chicken stock bring to simmer.
10. Place pasta in eight shallow bowls, top each with one piece of quail and evenly spoon sauce with cherries over quail.
11. Garnish with a sprig of thyme.
Photo Credit: Lorenzo Boni
Food Stylist: Diane Vezza