1 box penne
1 – 28 ounce can pumpkin
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup shallots, roughly chopped
1 cup scallions, white only roughly chopped, save green stems and slice
1 stalk lemon grass
3 tablespoons ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
2 keiffer limes, use leaves only
3 cups chicken stock, reduced sodium
2 – 13.5 ounce cans unsweetened light coconut milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1. In a large pot, place ½ gallon of water and cumin and bring to a boil.
2. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
3. While pasta is cooking, place oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
4. Sauté shallots, scallions, lemon grass, ginger, garlic and keiffer lime leaves until shallots are translucent and soft.
5. Add pumpkin and chicken stock and bring to simmer for 15 more minutes.
6. Add coconut milk and sugar then bring back to simmer.
7. Remove keiffer lime leaves and lemon grass.
8. Using an immersion blender, puree soup till smooth.
9. Season with salt, chili garlic paste and lime juice.
10. Add rigatoni and serve.
11. Garnish with scallion stems and freshly chopped cilantro.