Mezzi Rigatoni with Butternut Squash, Prosciutto & Green Onion Powder
Didn’t you know that powdered veggies are all the rage? Try them yourself with this fall-friendly dish.
1 box mezzi rigatoni
1 small butternut squash, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper, to taste
½ cup Parmigiano
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
2/3 cup, rendered prosciutto, julienne
Green Onion Powder Directions:
A. Place the onion in a dehydrator at 125F until dry and papery; let cool down and process in a spice grinder.
B. Alternatively, in the microwave: Place the sliced green onions on a microwave friendly plate lined with two sheets of paper towel. Cover with one more sheet and place in the microwave for 4 minutes at high power. Stir them around and give them more sessions of 20 seconds in the microwave until dry and papery. Process in a spice grinder.
Note: In the microwave, the process is faster, but the dehydrator preserves the color and the aroma more efficiently.
1. Place a pot of water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, simmer the squash in chicken broth until thoroughly cooked, let cool down and process ½ of it in a blender until smooth.
3. Put back in the skillet and heavy cream, season with salt and pepper and bring to simmer.
4. Cook pasta according to directions, drain and toss with sauce.
5. Stir in cheese, top with prosciutto and green onion powder