Orzo Con Pollo Recipe
A dinner party-worthy dish.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 box orzo
3 lb. whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 tablespoons canola oil
dash of salt
1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2 cups dry white wine
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup chicken stock
10 ounce package of frozen peas
I cup roasted red peppers, diced
2 limes cut into wedges
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, 2 tablespoons of canola oil, tablespoon of salt, and teaspoon of fresh black pepper.
3. Place in ovenproof pan and bake for 25 minutes.
4. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil, and sauté onions for 2 minutes. Add garlic and green peppers and sauté for 1 minute; add tomatoes and sauté for 2 more minutes.
5. Add white wine and continue to cook until reduced by 2/3, and then add black pepper, cayenne, bay leaf, paprika, turmeric and chicken stock: bring to a boil.
6. Add peas and roasted red pepper into the skillet, toss until combined.
7. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions, drain.
8. Place orzo in skillet and fold ingredients together.
9. Transfer orzo mixture to serving platter and place chicken on top.
10. Garnish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.
Photo Credit: Lou Manna
Calories: 465 Fat: 12.6g Total Carb: 55.5g Protein: 26.4g