Orecchiette with Za'atar Lamb Ragout, Tomatoes and Harissa Chickpeas
Bring the flavors of the Middle East and the Mediterranean to your dinner plate tonight. This Orecchiette recipe features a delicious lamb ragout, oven roasted tomatoes and smoked harissa chickpeas. Perfect when you need extra flavor, try this pasta recipe to impress at a dinner party or a delicious date night recipe!
1 box orecchiette
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves
1 small yellow onion
2 tablespoons Za'atar
1 pound ground lamb
1 cup red wine, dry
1 pound plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, cut in half
1 cup plain sun dried tomatoes, reconstituted in water, roughly chopped
½ cup Romano cheese, shredded
1 cup smoked harissa chickpeas, crushed
Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 425F.
2. Season tomatoes with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and salt. Roast in oven until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a sauce pot sauté onions and garlic with remaining extra virgin olive oil until translucent, about five minutes. Add lamb and sauté until slightly brown. Deglaze with wine, let it reduce well.
4. Add roasted tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and cover with water. Season with salt and red pepper flakes and simmer for 1 ½ hour.
5. Cook orecchiette according to box directions. Drain and toss with lamb sauce.
6. Fold in cheese and serve with crushed chickpeas over the top.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Lorenzo Boni https://www.instagram.com/cheflorenzoboni/