Thick Spaghetti Puttanesca
Puttanesca sauce packs some serious flavor. Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni shares the secret to tackling this powerful pasta sauce. The key to hold it all together, when the flavor just about overloads your taste buds with Puttanesca goodness, is to use Barilla's thick spaghetti pasta to reign everything in and leave you feeling satisfied. As far as spaghetti recipes go, they can only get better when thick spaghetti comes to the table. Mangiare, provided you stick to the right portion size!
Thick Spaghetti PuttanescaIngredients
1 box thick spaghetti noodles
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic
3 fillets anchovies, drained
2 cups water
1 28 oz. can plum Italian tomatoes, peeled and crushed
2 tbs. capers
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
3 oz. Romano cheese (optional)
Red pepper flakes to taste
1. Place a pot of water to boil, cook spaghetti pasta according to directions
2. Meanwhile sauté garlic in 2 tbsp. olive oil and red pepper, and just before it turns yellow add capers, anchovies, olives, sauté for a minute.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and water; season with salt if needed and bring to boil. Simmer 3 minutes.
4. Stir in thick spaghetti noodles and reduce sauce until it coats the pasta
5. Stir in parsley, sprinkle with Romano cheese and drizzle with remaining oil before serving
Credit: Lorenzo Boni (https://www.instagram.com/cheflorenzoboni/)