Shell Pasta in Creamy Corn Sauce with Pernil Recipe
This shell pasta recipe is packed with flavor, thanks to a creamy corn sauce, diced pernil (pork shoulder) and chile de arbol. Get a taste of fusion pasta flavor with al dente conchiglie and traditional, slow roasted Latin American Christmas pork shoulder just in time for the holiday season.
Creamy Corn & Pernil in Shell Pasta RecipeIngredients
1 box of large shell pasta
¼ cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons chopped white onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 cups of corn kernels
1 cup heavy cream
2 Chile de arbol, chopped
1 cup small diced pernil (pork leg)
Salt to taste
1. Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt to taste.
2. Add shell pasta to boiling water –for an authentic “al dente” pasta boil for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a skillet over low heat, then add onion and garlic –cook until golden.
4. Add kernels. Once they’ve softened, add heavy cream and cook for about 12 minutes.
5. Transfer the mix to a blender and blend until smooth.
6. Add a little butter to a skillet, and cook pernil over high heat until crispy –put aside.
7. Pour corn sauce over the pasta shells and mix –then add pernil, and a little arbol de chile to taste. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo credit: Chef Santiago Gomez