Whole Grain Penne Pasta with Leeks, Zucchini & Mushrooms
Mushrooms’ earthy flavor complement the nutty taste of the whole grain penne pasta in this light and nutritious pasta recipe. All natural, this vegetarian pasta dish is a great way to get your Mediterranean diet back on track as well as just a great rustic penne recipe for any party year round!
Whole Grain Penne with Leeks, Zucchini and MushroomsIngredients
1 box Barilla Whole Grain Penne
1 leek, cut in rondels
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, cut to half-moon
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
½ cup Parmigiano cheese, shredded
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, sauté leeks in half of olive oil for few minutes over medium heat.
3. Add mushrooms and brown over high heat; then, add zucchini and season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook penne pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with the sautéed vegetables.
5. Garnish with chopped Italian parsley, remaining olive oil and Parmigiano cheese
For more of Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni’s tips for what ingredient to pair with whole wheat pasta, check out our Passion for Pasta whole grain pasta tips guide.
If you're in the mood for more vegetarian pasta cuisine, explore Barilla's collection of vegetarian recipes.