Sweet Pea & Thyme Bucatini Alfredo Pasta Recipe
The perfect mix of classy and classic. Sweet peas and thyme elevate this Alfredo pasta recipe made with Barilla Collezione Bucatini. It’s hard to believe this sumptuous vegetarian pasta dish is made with just a few simple ingredients, especially once you get a taste of how the peas, homemade alfredo sauce, and spices pair together!
Sweet Pea & Thyme Bucatini AlfredoServes: 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 box Barilla® Collezione Bucatini
2 cups fat-free milk
½ cup heavy cream
1-½ tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons flour
¼ cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup frozen petite peas
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cook bucatini as directed on package. Drain, reserving ½ cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot. Cover to keep warm.
2. Combine milk and cream in small saucepan on medium heat. Cook just until simmering.
3. Melt butter in separate small saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in garlic and lemon zest; cook 30 seconds. Add flour; stir 1 min.
4. Slowly whisk milk mixture into butter mixture. Cook 3 min. or until thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in cheese and nutmeg.
5. Add alfredo sauce, reserved pasta water, peas and thyme to bucatini pasta in pot. Mix well. Cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Serving Suggestion: Garnish with additional shredded cheese and fresh thyme sprigs.
Photo Credit: Lou Manna