Fusion Penne Pasta Recipe with Mushrooms, Huitlacoche and Truffle Oil
Mexican, meet Italian. Huitlacoche or better known as the Mexican truffle, compliments truffle oil in this bold and earthy meatless fusion pasta recipe. Mix in Barilla penne pasta and seasonal mushrooms for a savory penne recipe that is sure to impress year round.
Penne & Huitlacoche Recipe with Mushrooms and Truffle OilServings: 8
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
1 box of Barilla Penne
1 cup of seasonal mushrooms, chopped
1 cup of huitlacoche
2 table spoons of butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ white onion, chopped
1/3 cup of white wine
½ cup of heavy cream
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Truffle oil (to finish)
Parmesan cheese (to finish)
1. Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt to taste.
2. Add penne to boiling water – for authentic “al dente” penne, boil for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
3. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms, cook until they're browned, and add the huitlacoche.
5. Add the wine and heavy cream. Let the mixture boil for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
6. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the sauce over the penne pasta. Finish off with parmesan cheese and truffle oil and enjoy!
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Santiago Gomez