Thick Spaghetti Recipe with Leeks, Artichokes & Potatoes
Want to get your gut health on track? This pasta recipe might help.
Prebiotics, like artichokes and leeks, may aid in improved gut health and enhanced calcium absorption. Prebiotics also promote the "good" bacteria found in probiotics, so getting both into your diet makes for a win-win situation.
This spaghetti recipe has both of these prebiotics as ingredients for double the benefit! Try it out and your body will thank you!
Thick Spaghetti with Leeks, Artichokes & PotatoesIngredients
1 box Barilla Thick Spaghetti
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium Russet potato
3 large artichokes
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 small bunch parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
1 1/2 cup water
1. Clean artichokes, wedge the hearts and cover with water and some lemon juice to prevent from getting dark. Chop the softer leaves and stems, reserve on the side.
2. Clean and cut the leek in rondels, chop and reserve the darker leaves.
3. Peel and dice 3/8 inch of one potato, reserving the skin on the side, and place in a pot with chopped leek and artichoke left overs. Add water and bring to boil, season with salt and pepper.
4. When cooked through, add parsley stems, cook another minute and process in a blender. Pass through a sieve and reserve on the side. The sauce should be fairly thick and smooth.
5. In a separate skillet sauté leek with 2 tablespoons olive oil for three minutes, add artichokes and sauté until slightly brown and cooked through, season with salt and pepper, set aside.
6. Bring a pot of water to boil, cook thick spaghetti according to directions, adding the other potato [peeled reserved] to the water right away.
7. Drain spaghetti, toss with veggies and ½ cup of reserved cooking water. Serve on individual dishes lined with creamy sauce on the bottom, and top with parsley and fried crispy potato skins over the top.
Photo and Recipe Credit: Chef Lorenzo Boni