Thick Spaghetti & Bottarga Recipe with Shrimp and Squid Ink
Simple, fresh and elevated. Impress your guests with this quintessential Mediterranean seafood pasta, made with Barilla Thick Spaghetti, shrimp, squid ink, fish broth and bottarga. Bottarga, a popular delicacy in southern Italy, is fish roe that has been dried and salted. Grating it over al dente thick spaghetti adds a distinct saltiness and strong flavor. Just remember that a little bit goes a long way, so use it sparingly.
Substitute in Barilla Whole Grain Spaghetti or Barilla Veggie Spaghetti for an altogether different take on this seafood pasta recipe.
Thick Spaghetti with Shrimp, Squid Ink and BottargaIngredients
1 box Barilla Thick Spaghetti
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. shrimp tails, roughly chopped
1 tbs. squid ink
½ cup fish broth
3 tbs. grated bottarga
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add spaghetti and cook according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, sauté two cloves of minced garlic with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
3. Stir in 1 lb. of roughly chopped shrimp tails, cook one minute then add 1 tablespoon of squid ink and 1/2 cup of fish broth and bring to simmer.
4. Drain al dente thick spaghetti, stir in seafood mixture and finish with 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil.
5. Top seafood pasta with 3 tbs. grated bottarga before serving.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Lorenzo Boni