Spaghetti with Spicy Italian Sausage Recipe
Sometimes, a traditional classic is just what you need. Spaghetti and spicy Italian sausage are a well-loved, tried-and-true pair. To elevate everyday spaghetti to a new level, try using Barilla® Collezione Spaghetti. It’s made from the finest durum wheat and will do an especially good job of soaking up all that heat, garlic, onion and San Marzano tomato goodness.
Spaghetti with Spicy Sausage
1 box Barilla® Collezione Spaghetti
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound spicy Italian sausage
½ cup dry white wine
1 can San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
Salt and red pepper to taste
2/3 cup Romano cheese, grated
- In a skillet, sauté onion with extra virgin olive oil until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for additional two minutes.
- Stir in sausage, let it crumble and brown it well.
- Deglaze with wine and reduce to half.
- Next, add tomatoes, two cups of water and seasoning, and then simmer for about half an hour, until the water evaporates, and the sauce becomes fairly thick.
- Meanwhile, bring one pot of water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package.
- Drain and toss with sauce.
- Stir in grated Romano cheese before serving.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Lorenzo Boni