Cacio e Pepe with Chard Recipe
This minimalist and unconventionalCacio e Pepe pasta recipe calls for only a few ingredients but it yields maximum flavor. Instagram influencers Erica and Abe Acevedo ditch the guanciale in favor of Swiss chard and ghee to make a more Mediterranean-diet friendly version of this classic Italian favorite. Throw in some Barilla® Collezione Bucatini pasta, add some Fontina and Parmesan cheese, and dinner is served!
Cacio e Pepe with Swiss Chard
½ box Collezione Bucatini
4 tablespoons ghee, divided
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for serving
1 large bunch Swiss Chard, chopped
3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup Fontina cheese, finely grated
Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings for topping
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. When draining, reserve 1 cup starchy pasta water.
2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons ghee in a skillet set over medium heat.
3. Stir in the black pepper and toast for 1 minute, then add the chopped chard and stir.
4. Pour in the pasta water and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the remaining ghee and pasta and toss. Reduce the heat to low, then add the grated cheeses and stir until melted into a sauce.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of pepper and some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Erica and Abe Acevedo