Mac and Cheese with Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
National Mac and Cheese day is a holiday we can get behind, and adding butternut squash to your mac and cheese recipe is a great way to incorporate more vegetables into this beloved dish. All you need to make this tasty recipe is elbow pasta, butter, extra-virgin olive oil, onions, flour, milk, butternut squash, Asiago cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Yury Krasilovsky
1 box Barilla Elbows
5 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons onions diced small
5 tablespoons flour
5 cups milk
2 cups butternut squash
1 cup Asiago cheese shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425° F
2. Toss the squash with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet.
3. Roast in the oven until brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
4. In a medium sized sauce pan melt the butter and gently cook the onion for five minutes over medium heat making sure it doesn’t turn brown.
5. Stir in flour; cook for two minutes.
6. Add milk and bring to a simmer, making sure not to scorch the bottom of the pan.
7. Whisk in the cheese then season the sauce with salt and white pepper.
8. Cook pasta according to directions then drain and toss with the sauce.
9. Fold in the squash before serving.