Bucatini Pasta with Butternut Squash, Crispy Bacon, Toasted Walnuts and Maple Syrup"It’s hard to believe fall is just around the corner, but it is. In other words, tis the season for fall flavors and fall dinner ideas! From maple syrup and crispy bacon to butternut squash and toasted walnuts, this bucatini pasta recipe is bursting with them.
1 box Barilla® Bucatini
4 tbs. maple syrup, divided
4 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup white onion, sliced
1 butternut squash, diced into half-inch pieces
1 cup bacon, julienned
1 tbs. chives, sliced
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, turn on the oven and set to 400°F.
2. Render bacon in a skillet until crispy, drain and set aside.
3. Season butternut squash with three tbs. of maple syrup, add salt and pepper and roast in the oven until slightly brown and thoroughly cooked (approximately 30 minutes). Then, set aside.
4. In a skillet, sauté onions with half the olive oil over medium heat for three to four minutes until translucent. Meanwhile, cook bucatini pasta according to package directions.
5. Process half of the butternut squash in a blender with one cup of cooking water (be cautious and start slowly, and then gradually increase the speed).
6. Stir in the creamy mixture and add the rest of the butternut squash to the skillet.
7. Drain Bucatini pasta and toss in the skillet with the butternut squash and olive oil.
8. Garnish with bacon and chives and drizzle with remaining maple syrup before serving.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni