Collezione Penne Pasta Recipe with Squid Ink
It's Halloween and the last day of National Pasta Month, so it only seems right to have this unique penne pasta recipe for dinner tonight. Squid ink infuses the dish with Halloween-appropriate black coloring, while grated bottarga adds a salty, briny flavor that brings a distinct flavor to the dish.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni
1 box of Barilla Collezione penne pasta
4 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic 3 anchovy fillets, drained
1 pinch of red pepper flakes 1 can of Italian plum tomatoes, peeled and crushed
2 tbs. of capers, roughly chopped
½-cup of water
1 cup of Kalamata olives, pitted
15 leaves of parsley
½ cup of Romano cheese, grated
1. Pre-cook penne pasta for half the time recommended on the box. Drizzle with oil and set aside.
2. Sauté onions in oil and red pepper, and just before it turns yellow, add garlic, capers, anchovies and olives. Sauté for one minute.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and water and season with salt, if needed. Bring to boil and let simmer for three minutes.
4. Stir in pasta and reduce sauce until pasta is coated.
5. Stir in parsley, sprinkle with Romano cheese and drizzle with olive oil before serving.