Bucatini Recipe with Spicy Lamb Meatballs & Micro Arugula
Think of this decadent pasta recipe as an elevated version of the timeless classic, spaghetti and meatballs. Cayenne pepper brings the heat to hearty lamb meatballs soaked in a zesty sauce of Italian San Marzano tomatoes and served on top of Barilla Collezione bucatini pasta cooked perfectly al dente.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni
1 box Barilla® Collezione Bucatini
2 slices white bread
1lb ground lamb
1 cup pecorino romano cheese
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Sea salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic
4 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 can Italian San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
1 cup arugula
1. Soak 2 slices of white bread in water, then mix the bread (squeezing the excess water out first) with ground lamb, half cup pecorino romano cheese, egg yolk, cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
2. Form 1/2-inch balls and bake in the oven at 400F for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté 2 cloves of thinly sliced garlic with extra-virgin olive oil
4. Then, add Italian San Marzano tomatoes and season with sea salt.
5. Stir in meatballs and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. While sauce is simmering, bring one large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions, draining 2 minutes early and reserving ½ cup of cooking water
7. Toss pasta in sauce and stir in the remaining cookin°g water.
8. Lastly, top with roughly chopped arugula and1/2 cup romano cheese before serving.