Barilla Rigatoni Recipe with Creamy Bolognese & Peas
This mouthwatering rigatoni pasta recipe is inspired by traditional recipes from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, where the local diet relies heavily on salami and cheeses. The creamy Bolognese sauce is a mix of ground pork, beef and pancetta, and finely processed carrots and onions. Best of all, the rigatoni tubes provide the perfect nesting area for all of that flavorful sauce, ensuring that you get a delicious helping of it in every bite.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni
1 box Barilla® Rigatoni
1 celery stalk
4 ounces Italian Pancetta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground beef 80% lean
½ pound ground pork
½ cup dry White wine
⅓ cup tomato paste
3 cups water
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
¾ cup heavy cream
1 cup peas
1. In a blender, process the vegetables and pancetta until finely ground.
2. Add the ingredients and olive oil to a medium sized pot and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat
3. Add meat and brown well, about 15 minutes. Deglaze with the white wine; evaporate completely then cover with water. Add tomato paste and bring sauce to a simmer.
4. Cook for approximately 2 hours, the sauce should be thick, and the meat should be very tender. Add peas, cook three minutes, add heavy cream, bring to boil.
5. Meanwhile, bring one large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
6. Toss pasta with sauce then remove from heat and add the cheese.