Fettuccine Recipe with Butternut Squash and Cremini MushroomsTis the season for autumn vegetables, and butternut squash and cremini mushrooms add both nutrients and flavor to this fall fettuccine pasta recipe. Sometimes referred to as "baby bellas", cremini mushrooms are slightly more mature than younger white mushrooms, giving them a firmer texture and bolder flavor, which is perfectly complemented by the sweet and nutty taste of butternut squash.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni
1 box Barilla® Fettuccine
¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
5 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium butternut squash
3 cup veggie broth
12 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
½ cup Parmigiano, grated
1 tbsp Italian parsley, chiffonade
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a nonstick skillet, sauté onion with 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil for three minutes over medium heat, add butternut squash, sauté for five minutes then veggie broth, simmer until thoroughly cooked.
2. Season with salt and pepper, let cool and process half of the mixture in the blender until smooth and return to skillet
3. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet sauté cremini mushrooms with 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil over high heat until slightly brown, season with salt and pepper and add to butternut mixture.
4. Bring one large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to instructions
5. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Finish with cheese, parsley and remaining olive oil