Spaghetti Recipe with Butternut Squash
Fresh, seasonal ingredients are the key to this vegetarian pasta recipe. Oyster mushrooms, Vidalia onions, garlic and diced butternut squash mingle together perfectly, while Barilla Collezione Spaghetti provides the perfect al dente base. For a nutritious pop of color, add in mustard micro-greens.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Barilla Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni
1 box Collezione Barilla spaghetti
1 cup Vidalia onion, chopped
1 small butternut squash, diced
6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, gently pressed
1/3 cup mustard micro green [optional]
TT Salt and black pepper
TT Parmigiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Bring one large pot of water to boil.
3. Season butternut squash with two tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in a skillet, sweat Vidalia onion gently with two tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil for about five minutes.
5. At the same time in a separate skillet, sauté mushrooms with remaining olive oil and garlic until slightly crispy, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Cook pasta draining two minutes early.
7. Meanwhile, combine squash, mushrooms and Vidalia onion, add 2/3 cup of pasta cooking liquid and simmer.
8. Toss mixture with pasta over high heat for two minutes. Serve topped with mustard greens and cheese