Try this delicious take on one of Italy’s best known pasta sauces, Amatriciana, featuring bacon, Pecorino Romano cheese and San Marzano style tomatoes. The smoky Amatriciana sauce pairs brilliantly with the Al Bronzo Bucatini pasta.
Barilla Al Bronzo Bucatini pasta is made by extruding dough through a bronze die that is micro engraved. This gives the pasta a rougher texture, allowing pasta sauces to perfectly adhere to our beautifully crafted pasta.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 1 box of Barilla Al Bronzo Bucatini Pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, cut julienne
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup bacon, cut julienne
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano style tomatoes and liquid
- Sea salt to taste
- 4 basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a skillet, gently cook onions with olive oil, red pepper and garlic until translucent, about five minutes.
- Add bacon; sauté for 4-5 additional minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, 2 cups of water and let simmer until extra liquid is evaporated and the sauce thickens.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with sauce and basil.
- Sprinkle with cheese before serving.