Making meatballs does not have to be difficult. This easy meatball recipe focuses on using good quality ingredients and correct ratios. Using grass fed beef, San Marzano tomatoes, and a good white bread makes all the difference.
It is important not to overmix when forming your meatballs. This will allow the meat to stay tender, and cook perfectly in your tomato sauce.
A great meatball deserves a great pasta. Barilla Al Bronzo Spaghetti is perfectly al dente and grips perfectly to any sauce.
Barilla Al Bronzo Spaghetti is made by extruding dough through a bronze die that is micro engraved. This gives the pasta a rougher texture, allowing pasta sauces to perfectly adhere to our beautifully crafted pasta.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Al Bronzo™ Spaghetti pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 3 slices white bread, no crust, diced
- 1 ¼ cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed beef 90/10
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 12 leaves of basil, sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a sauce pan gently fry onion with olive oil for 5 minutes, add 1 clove of chopped garlic, keep sautéing; one minute later add crushed tomatoes. Add one cup of water, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, soak bread in water. In a bowl combine meat, ¾ cup cheese, parsley, 1 clove of chopped garlic, soaked bread [squeeze out excess water]. Shape 1-inch size meatballs.
Add meatballs to tomato sauce, simmer until thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
Drain pasta and toss with meatball sauce.
Finish with basil, remaining cheese and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.