Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion
- 10 cilantro stems
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 box Barilla® Fideo Cut Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ large jalapeno diced
- 1 28oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 gallon chicken broth
- ½ chicken shredded
- 1 bunch green onions sliced on a bias
- 4 tablespoons cilantro roughly chopped
- In a large pot, ADD the whole chicken, onion, cilantro stems and sea salt then add the cold water.
- Bring the broth up to a simmer and COOK for 1 hour over medium heat.
- Once the broth is done, strain through a colander and into another large pot, reserving the chicken on the side for shredding.
- Place the pot of broth back onto the fire and bring to a simmer.
- In a large skillet saute the onion and jalapeno in olive oil for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the broth and bring to a boil.
When the broth is boiling add the cut spaghetti and cook for 3 minutes frequently stirring.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Before serving add chopped cilantro and sliced green onion as well as the shredded chicken.