One Pot Orzo Pasta Primavera
This easy one pot pasta meal is made with Barilla Orzo, asparagus, peppers, garlic, chili flakes and fresh herbs.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Orzo pasta
- 32 ounces water
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 baby bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, ends discarded and chopped in thirds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided throughout recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch chili flakes, optional
- Black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
Heat pot or deep skillet over a medium flame with olive oil until warmed. Add garlic, chili flakes, bell peppers, and cook for 3-4 minutes until sizzling and fragrant. Season with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Add pasta and stir well to toast slightly and coat with the oil to prevent sticking. Add water and cover until boiling, about 5 minutes.
Once boiling, stir well; add asparagus, season with a pinch of salt and cover again. Turn heat to medium low so that it is simmering and set the timer for 5 minutes.
Uncover, stir well. Add tomatoes, and spinach, season with salt and pepper. Cover for two minutes with the heat off. This will finish cooking the orzo and begin to wilt the tomatoes and spinach.
Add butter, nutritional yeast, black pepper, parsley, and basil. Stir well and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Serve immediately with extra herbs and crushed red pepper.