This delicious recipe is perfect for summertime and requires only a few simple ingredients. Penne pasta is cooked perfectly al dente, meanwhile fresh shrimp is seared to perfection with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Pesto is added to the seared shrimp, while tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, lemon, basil, mint, and olive oil are combined with the remaining pesto and pasta for a warm, bright dish that works for every occasion.
Barilla’s Penne pasta is the perfect pasta choice for saucy dishes as the large diameter and ridges holds flavor beautifully. In Italian, Penne means “Pen” and was inspired by the quill of an old-style ink pen and gets its name from its unique shape.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Penne pasta
- 1 jar Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, 26-30 count, peeled and deveined, diced
- 2 pints multi-color cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 12 basil leaves, sliced thin, divided
- 8 mint leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta one-minute less than package directions and drain well.
- Toss pasta with 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on a sheet tray to cool down.
- In a skillet over medium high heat add remaining olive oil, shrimp, salt, and pepper. Sauté shrimp for 2-3 minutes, add a tablespoon of pesto, then sauté an additional 2-3 minutes or until done and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cheese, lemon, ½ basil, mint, remaining olive oil, remaining pesto and pasta. Add shrimp and mix well. Top with remaining basil.