Chicken Pastina Soup
Looking for the perfect chicken noodle soup recipe? Barilla has you covered!
Cooking a whole chicken to make soup yields a beautiful, rich and savory broth. Barilla’s Chicken Pastinia Soup uses fresh tomatoes, asparagus, and spinach in addition to classic ingredients to add variation to this classic recipe!
- Total Fat
Ingredients for 6 people
- 1/4 box (3 ounces) Barilla® Pastina
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken, chopped
- 5 ½ quarts, water
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ bunch (8 ounces) asparagus, diced
- 1 small leek, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the water and simmer the chicken with ½ carrot, ½ celery, onion, black peppercorns and bay leaf for approximately 2 hours; skim the broth to remove the fat.
- In a large skillet, sauté the remaining carrot, celery, asparagus and leeks in olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, strain the broth into another pot (remove and discard the bay leaf) and place back onto the stove top to simmer.
- Season the broth with salt and pepper, add the sautéed vegetables and Pastina then cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and fold in chicken, spinach and tomatoes. Allow soup to rest 30 minutes before serving.