Barilla® Penne Rigate alla Norma
(Penne with Eggplant & Ricotta Cheese)
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Penne
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3/4 cup ricotta salata (aged salted ricotta)
- 1 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying as needed
- Dice eggplant, season it with a pinch of salt and set aside for about 20 minutes to purge any bitter juices.
- Dredge in flour. Heat enough oil in a pan over high heat to completely cover the eggplant. Fry eggplant until golden, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Chop onion and garlic. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic. Add eggplant, crushed tomato, salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and toss with the prepared eggplant sauce.
- Garnish with basil and grated ricotta. Serve hot.