Barilla® Penne with Butternut Squash, Bacon & Balsamic Vinegar
The squash and bacon sauce is a perfect match for Penne. An inviting first course ideal for the fall.
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Penne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- ½ cup bacon (or pancetta), cut into thin strips
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, diced ½ inch cubes, remove skin & seeds
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- A few drops of aged traditional balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy and reserve on the side.
2In the same skillet sauté garlic, leek and rosemary in olive oil for several minutes then add squash and broth and simmer until squash is cooked through.
3Season with salt, pepper, and process ½ of the squash mixture in a blender until creamy.
4Cook pasta according to package directions
5Combine puree and remaining squash mixture then add pasta and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with bacon and parsley.
6Sprinkle with a few drops of balsamic vinegar before serving.