Savory sweet flavor combinations are nothing new, and pork with apples is no exception! The sweetness of the apples enhances the savory and spicy nature of the pork sausage in this dish.
When choosing baking apples, using a tart apple like granny smith is important. It holds its shape and maintains its flavor profile when baked.
Baked appetizers such as this Barilla Pork Sausage, Ditalini & Apple Muffins are great because they can be made in advance. You can always reheat them in the oven when you are ready to serve!
Ingredients for 36 people
- 1 box Barilla® Ditalini
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 each tart green apples, peeled, diced ¼ inch
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook pasta one minute less than package directions, drain and set aside.
Spray muffin tins with pan release to prevent sticking.
- In a large skillet brown sausage, break apart with wooden spoon as sausage browns.
- Add apples and sauté for one more minute. Add pasta and combine. Remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, mascarpone, mozzarella, sage, salt and pepper, place in pourable measuring cup.
- Fill muffin tins evenly with sausage, apple and pasta mixture.
- Evenly pour egg mixture on top of sausage and pasta, bake for 30 minutes until firm.
- Remove and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.