There are many ways to treat beets when cooking. This recipe uses the entire beet plant; roasting the roots with olive oil, salt and pepper, and gently sautéing the greens with olive oil. The beets are then combined with creamy Greek yogurt, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a hint of spice from the horseradish. The dish is finished by spooning the beet mixture on top of perfectly al dente Barilla Rigatoni. Try this cozy winter pasta recipe today!
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 baby red and yellow beets with greens
- 2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Remove greens from beets and keep separate. Wash beets and their greens thoroughly. Cut greens into 2 inch pieces.
- Toss beets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast beets for 30 minutes, until tender.
Heat remaining olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat and sauté beet greens.
Remove beets from oven, peel if necessary and dice.
- To yogurt add horseradish, lemon juice and salt then mix well.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and combine with sauce.
- Divide into eight bowls and top with beets and beet greens.