Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Rigatoni
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Large Onion, Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Sliced Thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Thyme, Chopped (May Substitute ½ Tablespoon Dried Thyme)
- 1/2 Medium Carrot, Finely Shredded
- 28-ounces Peeled Whole Tomatoes, Canned, Crushed, Reserve Liquid
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 pound Spicy Lamb Sausage, Cut Into 1/2-Inch Pieces
- 16 leaves Mint
- 1/4 pound Romano Cheese, Freshly Grated
- Tomato Sauce: HEAT olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add thyme and carrots; cook 5 minutes more, until carrot is quite soft. Add tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt to taste.
- Add tomato sauce to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add sausage to the sauce and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it is rendered from the meat.
- Remove sauce from the heat, cool briefly, and then pulse it in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a 12-inch sauté pan and keep warm.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt (optional). Cook Rigatoni according to package directions.
- Drain Rigatoni and add to the pan with the sauce. Toss gently over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add mint leaves, toss 1 minute more. Divide evenly among warmed dinner plates. Grate Pecorino Romano cheese over each plate and serve immediately.