- Total FAT
- Total CARBOHYDRATE
Ingredients for 6 people
- 24 Barilla® Jumbo Shells
- 1 jar Barilla® Traditional sauce
- 1 2-pound butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 slices uncooked bacon
- 2 baking apples, such as Granny Smith, cored and halved
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, place squash cut sides down. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Spread bacon in another rimmed baking sheet. Add sheet with bacon to oven on a separate rack and add apples, cut sides down, to the sheet with the squash. Bake both sheets for 15 minutes more or until squash and apples are very tender and bacon is crisp and browned; remove from oven and drain bacon on paper towel; crumble and set aside. Reduce oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil; add salt to taste and the Jumbo Shells; stir gently.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; remove from heat and drain well.
- Spread 1 cup of the Traditional sauce onto the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Scrape squash pulp into a medium bowl. Remove peels from apple and add pulp to bowl with squash. Add cheese and bacon; stir to combine. Fill shells with the mixture. Arrange in dish with sauce. Pour remaining sauce over shells.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes or until warmed through; let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme before serving.
- Customize it: To add a little freshness to this flavorful comfort food, serve shells alongside a light salad of baby spinach or shaved Brussels sprouts.