Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows
- 1 jar Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small pot, heat the milk and bring to a simmer.
- In a large skillet melt the butter and sauté shallots until soft, then add the flour, stir together and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the milk and bring to a simmer, cook for approximately 10 minutes making sure to stir often, then season with salt and white pepper.
- Add 2 cups of the cheddar, the cream cheese and 1/2 jar of pesto; whisk to form a smooth sauce.
- Cook the pasta 3 minutes less than the recommended time. Drain and toss the pasta with the sauce.
- Spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1/2 of the mac and cheese, layer the remaining 2 cups of cheddar and add the rest of the mac and cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes or until brown and bubbling on top.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Mix in remaining pesto to taste.