This elevated take on the classic Mac and Cheese recipe is crunchy, creamy, and delicious – perfect for a cozy night-in or a meal with friends. Olive oil, butter, and garlic are cooked down and combined with savory breadcrumbs. Meanwhile, Macaroni noodles are cooked perfectly al dente. Heavy cream is brought to a boil and then whisked with three delicious cheeses: white cheddar, Monterey jack, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. The creamy cheese sauce is then combined with pasta and topped with breadcrumbs for the perfect bite, every time.
Barilla’s Elbow Macaroni pasta is beloved for its twisted, tubular shape, Originating in Norther and Central Italy, they’re called Elbows, Gomiti, or Chifferi and are traditionally used in soups.
Ingredients 8 Servings
For the Breadcrumbs:
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
For the Macaroni & Cheese:
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs and stir until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Stir in parsley and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepot over low/medium heat bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Whisk in all cheese, seasoning to taste.
Drain pasta well and mix with cheese sauce. Top pasta with toasted breadcrumbs.