This elevated take on the classic Mac and Cheese recipe is crunchy, creamy, and delicious – perfect for a cozy night-in or a meal with friends. Olive oil, butter, and garlic are cooked down and combined with savory breadcrumbs. Meanwhile, Macaroni noodles are cooked perfectly al dente. Heavy cream is brought to a boil and then whisked with three delicious cheeses: white cheddar, Monterey jack, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. The creamy cheese sauce is then combined with pasta and topped with savory breadcrumbs.
Ingredients 8 Servings
For the Breadcrumbs:
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
For the Macaroni & Cheese:
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows pasta
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs and stir until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Stir in parsley and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepot over low/medium whisk together the heavy cream and corn starch and bringing the mixture to a simmer. Whisk in all the cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, and parmesan); season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain pasta well and mix with cheese sauce. Top pasta with toasted breadcrumbs.