Gemelli Pasta with Spicy Chicken, Roasted Red Peppers, Okra & Basil Pesto
A HARLEM EATUP! 2018 RECIPE
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Gemelli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 chipotle pepper, diced
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes San Marzano
- 2 bay leaf
- ½ red bell pepper, roasted, skin off, diced ½ inch
- 8 okra, roasted, sliced ½ inch
- ½ jar Barilla® Basil Pesto
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1In a skillet sauté onion with olive oil and chipotle pepper for 3 minutes.
2Add chicken, brown on both sides then add broth, bay leaves and canned tomatoes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
3Add red pepper, and if needed a little more broth and simmer another 10 minutes until chicken is falling apart. Let cool down and shred chicken by hands. The mixture should result well combined but still slightly brothy.
4Cook pasta according to package directions, but drain 2 minutes earlier reserving ½ cup cooking water.
5Toss pasta with chicken sauce over high heat until remaining liquid is absorbed and Gemelli are perfectly cooked, about 2 minutes.
6Stir in roasted okra, cheese, and pesto before serving.